El Pasoans Fighting Hunger
JOB TITLE: Chief Development Officer
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Director of Fund Development, Director of Marketing, Volunteer Coordinator
The Organization: El Pasoans Fighting Hunger is the only food bank serving the greater El Paso community. We accomplish our mission of feeding hungry people through strategic food distribution partnerships with 130 soup kitchens, shelters and pantries, 182 schools, 14 school pantries, 120+ client choice mobile pantries and 15 refugee programs reaching over 200,000 hungry people in our region. The food bank is currently experiencing tremendous growth and expects to grow our service to the community by over 90% this year – securing over $40 million in donated product and $3.5 million in contributions, government revenue and service fees. POSITION SUMMARY: The Chief Development Officer will serve as a key member of the organization’s management team and will be expected to play a critical role in the continued growth of the food bank. This position is responsible for managing the fundraising, communications, marketing and volunteer functions of the organization. The CDO will provide leadership in the areas of individual and major giving, corporate and foundation giving, and the capital campaign. The CDO will play a pivotal role in building an organization-wide culture of philanthropy and will represent the organization externally in concert with the CEO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: Include, but are not limited to the following:
• Responsible for successfully creating, leading and implementing an integrated resource development strategy while developing and maintaining existing relationships to build the organization’s visibility, impact and financial resources;
• Identify and maximize opportunities to grow revenue and meet the annual operating needs of the food bank;
• Lead the effort to raise $3.5 million in annual operating funds – with plans to grow revenue substantially in coming years – from individuals, corporations, foundations, government and third-party events;
• Manage the Capital Campaign and raise $7.7 million to meet the capital needs of the food bank;
• Proactively build and maintain existing donor relationships while actively researching and attracting new donors;
• Manage the food bank’s marketing and communications function including responsibility for creating a compelling website and producing collateral materials such as agency brochures, newsletters, annual report, etc. Ensure integration with the organization’s fundraising goals;
• Work with finance and operations to ensure grant requests are aligned with financial and operational needs;
• Produce monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports as required and monitor monthly expenditures against projections and forecasts;
• Grow our volunteer base to meet the operational needs of the organization;
• Attract, develop and maintain talent to ensure that the right people with the right skills are in place to meet our mission;
• Administrative functions including hiring, performance management, coaching, and disciplinary actions;
• Actively prepare for and participate in Board Meetings and Committee Meetings and report on the Development department as needed;
• Staff the Capital Campaign Committee of the Board of Directors;
• Serve as an ambassador and spokesperson for the organization;
• Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
REQUIREMENTS: Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred with a minimum of 10 years experience in non-profit fundraising. A proven record of successfully managing a development team and personally cultivating and securing major gifts. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a leadership capacity.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Visionary mindset with the ability to drive results, manage challenges and capitalize on opportunities;
• Experience managing an integrated development and marketing/communications team;
• Proven track record of successfully managing a team and personally cultivating and securing 6 and 7 figure major gifts;
• Ability to manage staff to establish and maintain a working environment conducive to positive morale, quality and teamwork;
• Ability to work effectively as a part of a team, provide solutions, and respond quickly in a fast paced, changing environment;
• Strategic thinker with strong analytical thinking, business management and problem solving skills;
• People skills required to lead, motivate and inspire a team, represent EPFH in the community, communicate effectively with funders, Board, staff and other major stakeholders;
• Presentation skills and ability to present complex information to funders, the Board of Directors, employees and other stakeholders in both written and verbal formats;
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to successfully manage multiple priorities & projects and consistently meet deadlines in a fast paced environment;
• Ability to be innovative, meet or exceed goals and manage workflow;
• Demonstrated passion for social services;
• Strong attention to detail and ability to work with a high degree of accuracy;
• Positive and professional attitude and demeanor with a commitment to excellent customer service;
• Ability to pass a background check and random drug testing;
• Valid driver’s license.
Bonus Points for:
• Experience in food banking;
• Fluent in both English and Spanish.
El Pasoans Fighting Hunger embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.